Pregnancy is a beautiful experience, but along with the adorable baby bump comes the extra layers of unwanted weight around the midsection, thighs, arms, and rump.
Whether you got pregnant naturally or through artificial insemination, you want to keep you and the baby healthy from day one. Sally, pregnancy and lifestyle expert at IVI Fertility says “Your body is going through a lot of changes, and your appetite may seem gargantuan compared to your pre-pregnancy appetite. Luckily, there’s a way to keep that unwanted, extra weight off – exercise!”
Exercise has several benefits, from weight loss to increased energy, so taking a walk around the block every day has several benefits. You don’t have to go to the gym. In fact we have recently added a post about exercising at home.
Here are ten great reasons why adding exercise to your daily routine is definitely worth it!
- A Boost of Energy: When you exercise, your body is getting stronger and more toned. With stronger muscles and a toned heart and lungs, your body will have an increase in energy. Put it this way, when your body is lax and lazy, you feel tired; when your body is in motion and you’re active, you feel more energetic.
- Birth Preparation: Giving birth takes a lot of energy, strength, and endurance. By exercising, you’re prepping your body for that long haul in the birthing room.
- Complications Minimised: When you exercise, you’re obviously physically healthy. With a healthier body, there are fewer chances of you having complications during birth and pregnancy. For example, exercising reduces the risk of pre-eclampsia and gestational diabetes.
- Happy Mummy: Exercise is an endorphin-releasing action that increases your mood, making you feel happier as well as more energetic. With pregnancy and even post pregnancy, you can experience the baby blues. Exercising will help to reduce that.
- Better Sleep: Being pregnant is uncomfortable, and trying to find a comfortable position to sleep in can seem borderline impossible. One solution is, of course, exercise. When you exercise, you are working off any extra energy you may have, making you sleepier, and therefore making it easier to get a good night’s rest.
- Healthier Weight: Keeping that extra weight off is simpler when you exercise. You’re burning unnecessary calories and keeping your muscles toned and your organs healthy.
- Prevents Constipation: When you’re pregnant, your internal organs are squashed and moved around, sometimes resulting in constipation. When you exercise, things move around, making it easier for you to use the restroom.
- Stretches: Back pain is a constant companion with pregnancy. Luckily, doing some Yoga stretches or pregnancy stretches can help to ease the tension and relieve the back pain.
- Recovery Made Easier: Because your body is in shape and healthier due to exercise, it’s easier for you to bounce back after delivery. Childbirth is very traumatic on your body, but if you’re in shape, you’ll be able to recover a lot easier.
- Healthy mum = healthy baby: What you eat, the baby eats. When you exercise, it’s the same idea. If you’re a healthier weight due to exercise, chances are, your baby will be too. Also, when you’re healthy, it makes for an easier delivery, which means less stress on your baby.
Exercising is so incredibly beneficial for both you and the baby, that it should be a daily routine for you. By taking a walk or going for a swim, you’ll be pleasantly amazed at the resulting benefits.